THRIVE’S PHYSICAL THERAPY PROGRAM
1) Physical Therapy Evaluation:
This consists of a comprehensive review of your medical history and medications, as well as a physical examination using Parkinson’s disease specific guidelines.
2) Devise a Plan:
No two people with Parkinson’s are the same. Your unique goals, interests, and personality are at the heart of your physical therapy plan of care. Together, we will collaborate to identify 2-3 of your key limitations and start tackling them right away.
3) Your Physical Therapy Sessions:
Don't worry about the hassle of going out in the ever changing weather of good old Rochester, NY. I'll come to you. We will utilize Parkinson's specific strategies and exercises to promote motor learning and positive brain change, and we’ll do it in your preferred location (home, office, fitness center). I will also help you with techniques to improve your sleep, manage stress, and maximize your nutrition because these areas are critical in developing an effective plan of attack against your Parkinson's symptoms. PT sessions are one-on-one and last for one hour.
4) Physical Therapy Graduation:
For people with Parkinson’s disease, consistent exercise needs to be a way of life. We will cultivate this habit during your physical therapy program and I will give you lots of resources to help you stay in the groove, even once I’m no longer knocking at your door three days a week to make sure! Thrive offers both individual and group wellness & fitness programs which may be a great fit for you once you complete a course of physical therapy.
"HOW DO I KNOW IF I NEED PHYSICAL THERAPY?"
Here's a list of situations that may indicate you need PT:
- are newly diagnosed with Parkinson's disease (research shows the earlier you can get connected with a PD specific PT, the better!).
- have a PT prescription from your primary physician, neurologist, or other MD.
- have fallen recently, are afraid of falling, or feel unsteady when you are moving.
- were recently ill or in the hospital and are not “bouncing back.”
- have been referred to a Parkinson's Physical Therapist for the LSVT Big or PWR! Program.
- have a loved one telling you that you shuffle when you walk.
- have moments when you feel like your feet are glued to the floor.
- are having a difficult time moving in bed or getting up from chairs.
If you still aren't sure if you are ready for physical therapy, call us at (585) 851-8259 and we can help to answer any questions you may have.